28 October 2011

Beautiful Books

I ran out of time today in my presentation on Transmedia Storytelling at the Books in Browsers conference at the internet Archive... although, brief, here is my story about beautiful books:

I'd like to tell you about a beautiful book. A couple years back I found a beautifully produced hard cover book, it had a canvas jacket, the pages were printed in Pantone 877 and a warm black. Any print nerds out there that can tell me what 877 is? Silver, not just silver but metallic silver (this is a colour that cannot be replicated in the digital realm, like many others). The book was entirely printed using two colours, solids, halftones and duotones. It was really a work of art.

I bought two copies. You see, the book was Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, a favourite of mine. I bought one copy for me and the second copy for my junior high school english teacher who introduced it to me 25 years ago. She sent me a really nice thank you letter after receiving it..

The reason I tell you this, is because beautiful books need to be shared and experienced. Transmedia enables both
.

There was much of my talk that I skimmed over in order to finish on time, it was taking me twice as long as I rehearsed - I will post the entire talk (edited) on my blog in the next few days.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home