24 May 2008

My Open Letter to Harvey's

Greetings Harvey’s,

I suppose this is a complaint of sorts. The complaint isn't about the product, but rather a minor hiccup in the fulfillment of the product, more specifically, your burgers.

"Every burger is freshly grilled, and freshly garnished in front of each Guest, with exactly what and how much they want from our wide selection of toppings. It’s what makes every Harvey’s burger “a beautiful thing.”

My complaint is that I am not getting ‘a beautiful thing’ at Harvey's. I am getting a runner up, an incomplete thing… close, but no cigar.

Whenever I order a burger, I get this:

Staff member: What would you like on your burger?
Me: Everything.
Drive thru outcome: A burger with everything but hot peppers.
Dine in outcome: Another question.
Staff member: Would you like hot peppers, too?
Me: Yes, please. (my understanding of the word everything means everything… I think to myself)

So, why can't everything include hot peppers, they are a condiment that is part of your full offering? As a customer, when I ask for everything, I expect everything... but, I never get what I ask for... this is frustrating and the basis for my complaint.

This happens at every location I have visited, which leads me to believe that this is a 'trained' practice and not an anomaly, nor a personal taste choice by the food handler.

Can you please explain why ‘everything’ does not mean everything at Harvey’s?

Thank you in advance for looking into this and responding to me.

Sincerely,
Kevin Franco

NOTE: I have posted this on my blog, because I asked this question once before on their web form and never got a response... let's see what I get this time.

PS - About 1 year ago, Harvey's redesigned their menu boards and are arguably the best designed menus in their industry. The design is fresh, light and easy to read.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Franco said...

Here is my first response:

Dear Kevin Franco,

Thank you for taking the time to inform me of the experience you encountered with our Harveys in Calgary.

Please accept my apology for the disappointment in the quality of services received. I will have our Area Associate address your concerns with the Operator Associate for that restaurant immediately. Please rest assured that any and all necessary action will be taken to ensure that incidents such as these do not occur again.

We at Harveys, strive to maintain the highest standards for our services. Your patronage is important to us and we appreciate your feedback. So many Guests do not inform anyone of their concerns and therefore, no corrective action can be taken.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to email me. It was my pleasure to assist you and I thank you for being one of our valued guests.

Sincerely,


XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Guest Services
Harveys

5/26/2008 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin Franco said...

Here is the second response:

Hello Kevin,

My name is Zane Williams, I am the Area Manager for Harvey's in the Calgary area.

First, I would like to thank you for your email. Without customers giving us their feedback we would have a harder time getting it right.

The reason the garnisher asks if you want hot peppers after you ask for everything is because most people who ask for everything don't actually want the hot peppers. We have found in the past that customers who say everything end up not wanting the hot peppers. So basically, we now ask if they want the hot peppers to avoid putting them on by mistake and having to remake the order for the customer.

However, the drive thru should be asking if you want the peppers as well and I will address this with all the managers right away.

Thank you again for your feedback.



XXXX XXXXXXXX

Area Manager, Guest Experience

Harvey's
(403) XXX-XXXX

5/27/2008 05:27:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin Franco said...

My Response:

Hello XXXX,

Thank you for the quick response, I know you're day is already full enough without having to deal with the odd missing banana pepper.

My reason for the complaint is more from a customer experience standpoint. You see, I help to build customer experiences for many corporations for a living and when it comes down to it, it's the little things that make the difference. I am fully aware that this banana pepper issue is one of those 'little things', but it's the difference between a great experience and a not-so-great experience, at least for this customer.

I believe that you are correct in having the drive thru ask if hot peppers are included, this would result in the customer (me) getting my burger with everything on it. I can live with this, and will be satisfied (a tiny bit annoyed) that I have the product I asked for (and then clarified) in the end.

Thanks again.
Kevin

5/27/2008 05:51:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin Franco said...

My summation:

At Harvey's, customers that want everything and ask for everything but don't get everything is a direct result of customers that don't want everything but ask for everything.

Dumb people rule.

5/27/2008 05:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Went to a Harvey's (in Calgary) last fall. The store was a mess & what little staff there was working were fooling around. The service was appalling. This from a brand I always maintained was the best burger QSR in the country. Will never go back; I even avoid the one at the airport.

5/30/2008 10:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home